Renowned Image Consultant
As seen on CNN, CBS, and Fox News.
How to Choose Men’s Dress Pants to Flatter Your Build
Choosing dress pants that both fit and flatter your frame can be a daunting task. With so many cuts and styles of men’s pants on the market, how do you know which is right for you? Let us help.
- Short Build
- Flat front pants are the best choice for a man of your stature as there is less fullness in the legs than in pleated pants. Because of your shorter height, you need a pair of pants with a short or low rise with no cuffs. You should also choose pants with a shorter inseam, preferably in a trim cut.
- Short and Thin Build
- Flat front pants are the most flattering for shorter, thin men as there is less fullness from the thigh to the ankle. You should also choose pants with a short or low rise and a shorter inseam, preferably in a trim cut.
- Short and Heavy Build
- Choose pants that are flat front, full cut and low rise. It is difficult to find off-the-rack pants that will fit you, so you will most likely require alterations or custom pants to fit your needs.
- Tall Build
- Because of your height, you can wear any style pants, including regular cut, boot cut, flat front or pleated pants. You can wear cuffs or no cuffs. You need to purchase a pair of pants with a long rise. You should also choose pants with a longer inseam.
- Tall and Thin Build
- Because of your height, you will look best in a trim cut or boot cut style. You can also wear various styles like flat front or pleated pants with or without cuffs. Because you are thin, regular rise pants should work for you. You need to purchase a pair of pants with a longer leg length.
- Big and Tall Build
- If you have a full abdomen, we suggest flat front pants with a long rise, in a full cut. If you have a flatter stomach, then you can wear flat front or pleated pants. Either way, you will need a long rise. You also need to purchase pants with a long leg length.
- Big Stomach
- If you have a big belly, then it is difficult to keep your pants from sliding down. For this reason, we suggest a flat front, traditional cut style pants rather than a pleated pants style. You may choose to buy larger size pants to fit your waist, but then the seat will be too big, or you may buy a smaller size in order to fit the seat, but then the waist will be too small.
- Big Stomach, Flat Seat, Thin Thighs
- If you have a big belly, it is difficult to keep your pants from sliding down. Because of your flatter rear and thin thighs, you get too much fabric in the seat and thighs. For this reason, we suggest a flat front style pants that are trim cut, rather than pleated pants, as pleated pants exaggerate this problem by adding too much fabric to the seat and thigh area.
- Long Torso/Short Legs
- You may need a long rise with a shorter pants inseam. If you are short, then flat front pants with a traditional cut will work best for you. Tall men can wear pleated pants or a flat front.
- Short Torso/Long Legs
- You may need a shorter rise with a longer pants inseam. Low rise, traditional cut or low rise, boot cut are your best options. If you are short, then flat front pants work best for you. Tall men can wear pleated pants or flat front pants.
- Smaller Waist, Pronounced Rear, Big Thighs
- Pleated pants will give you more room in the thigh area. Look for a long rise and full cut pants.
Giorgenti Custom Pants are the Perfect Fit
Don't settle for the poor fit and selection at traditional men's clothing stores and stop spending a fortune on alterations. Giorgenti custom pants give you the freedom and selection to design your dress pants to fit comfortably, flatter your build and suit your personal style. See the difference custom made pants can make in your comfort and confidence.